Dear Missouri State Student:
Magers Health and Wellness Center’s outstanding staff looks forward to assisting you with your health and wellness needs. Our services, which are available to all members of the University Community, are high quality, convenient and economical.
As you prepare for success at Missouri State University, it is important to prepare medically as well. Please review the advice in this letter, look at our web site, and visit us when you come to campus for orientation. If you have any questions or ways we may be of assistance, please call us and let us know how we may help you.
A) The American College Health Association (ACHA) pre-matriculation vaccination guidelines recommend, in part:
- Two MMR (measles/mumps/rubella) vaccinations, at least 28 days apart, after 12 months of age.
- A polio vaccine primary series, in childhood.
- A tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine primary series, in childhood. Then a Tdap booster, followed by Td boosters as needed.
- Two varicella (chickenpox) vaccinations, at least 12 weeks apart if vaccinated between 1 and 12 years of age and at least 4 weeks apart if vaccinated at ages 13 years or older.
- A hepatitis B vaccination series, all college students should have this protection, three vaccinations.
- A hepatitis A vaccination series for all students age 18 or less, and for older students who are at risk or who choose to take the vaccine, two 2 vaccinations.
- The human papilloma virus (HPV) three-vaccination series for all women under age 27, all men under age 22, and men under age 22, and men 22 through 26 years old who are at increased risk, or who choose to be vaccinated.
- Meningococcal quadrivalent conjugate vaccination series, for all students 21 years of age or less, and for students greater than 21 years of age who are at increased risk for this disease. It is best take prior to arriving at college.
- Meningococcal Serogroup B vaccination series for students at increased risk and for students age 16-23 who choose to be vaccinated.
- Influenza annual vaccination is recommended.
- Other vaccine recommendations may be indicated for your specific health. Please review with your medical provider.
B) Missouri law requires
a) All students who reside in on-campus housing must have received the meningococcal vaccine and a record of this vaccination must be on file at Magers Health and Wellness Center. The only exceptions the law permits are for a signed statement of religious exemption or a physician signed specific statement of medical exemption, and these would need to be on file with the university.
b) University students are to receive information about meningococcal disease at: http://health.mo.gov//living/wellness/immunizations/pdf/MCVFactSheet.pdf
c) Screening of all new students taking a class on campus, for tuberculosis risk factors. This survey can be accessed at http://MyMissouriState.edu in the Wellness Section of the Campus Life tab. This must be completed before you register for your second semester classes. It is best to complete this now.
C) For international students from countries considered endemic (widespread) for tuberculosis (TB) infection, a test for TB is required before or during the first semester at Magers Health and Wellness Center.
It is recommended that all students traveling from countries where tuberculosis is endemic update their TB test 12 weeks after their trip. It is also recommended that all incoming students who are at high risk for TB should have a current TB test. The ACHA list of endemic TB countries may be found at: http://health.missouristate.edu/students/tbcountries.htm
D) Students interested in receiving allergy injections or immunizations can go to the Treatment Clinic portion of the Magers web site or call our Treatment Clinic at (417)836-4020.
E) Please take time now to complete the self-administered Medical History Form, which can be downloaded from the Magers web site. Send this Medical History Form to us along with a copy of your immunization records. If you are being treated for an ongoing medical condition we welcome the opportunity to assist you. Please send us a copy of your medical records to facilitate your care and your physician is welcome to send a letter to us or contact us as well.
Magers Health and Wellness Center
Missouri State University
901 S. National Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65897
April 19, 2016