Missouri law requires that students residing on-campus sign that they have received information on the risks of meningitis, the effectiveness of the meningococcal vaccine, and either receive the vaccine or waive out of receiving the vaccine. For more information about meningitis and the vaccine, visit the CDC website. The vaccine is available at Magers Health and Wellness Center. For your best protection the meningitis vaccine should be taken prior to arriving at college.
Take the Meningitis Screening.
Why do I have to do this?
Missouri Revised Statute 174.335 went into effect on August 28, 2014:
174.335. 1. Beginning with the 2004-05 school year and for each school year thereafter, every public institution of higher education in this state shall require all students who reside in on-campus housing to have received the meningococcal vaccine unless a signed statement of medical or religious exemption is on file with the institution's administration. A student shall be exempted from the immunization requirement of this section upon signed certification by a physician licensed under chapter 334 indicating that either the immunization would seriously endanger the student's health or life or the student has documentation of the disease or laboratory evidence of immunity to the disease. A student shall be exempted from the immunization requirement of this section if he or she objects in writing to the institution's administration that immunization violates his or her religious beliefs.
2. Each public university or college in this state shall maintain records on the meningococcal vaccination status of every student residing in on-campus housing at the university or college.
3. Nothing in this section shall be construed as requiring any institution of higher education to provide or pay for vaccinations against meningococcal disease.
(L. 2003 S.B. 686 § 1, A.L. 2014 S.B. 567 merged with S.B. 716 merged with S.B. 754)
What do I need to do?
1. You must provide a copy of your meningitis vaccination record to Magers Health and Wellness Center. This applies for any student living in a residence hall or in FSL (fraternity and sorority life) housing, not just for freshmen. Please include your BearPass ID or M Number on the documentation submitted.
Attn: Medical Records Coordinator
Magers Health and Wellness Center
Missouri State University
901 South National Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65897
2. You must also complete a very simple, 2-minute meningitis survey regarding other possible risk factors.
How can I learn more about this type of meningitis?
If you wish to claim a religious or medical exemption:
- To obtain a waiver based on religious belief complete this Religious Waiver Form
- Submit a waiver request for medical exemption
- Signed certification by a physician licensed under Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 334 indicating that either the immunization would seriously endanger the student’s health or life or the student has documentation of the disease or laboratory evidence of immunity to the disease.
- This should be sent to the Magers Medical Records Coordinator at the address listed above.
- All exemption requests must be filed by August 1 for Fall; December 1 for Spring; and May 1 for Summer contracts.
Meningitis vaccination may be obtained in advance from your personal physician or local public health department. Menactra and Menveo are the only two approved meningitis vaccines that will count for the requirement.
May also be obtained during your SOAR visit, at Magers Health and Wellness Center. Preferably, should be completed as soon as possible so your body has time to form protective antibodies.
Please note the meningitis vaccinations and general vaccinations advised for college students by the American College Health Association can be found in the New Student Letter.
Residence Life will notify housing applicants about the meningitis vaccination requirement and will ensure compliance.
If you have further specific questions of Residence Life, please contact Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services at ResidenceLife@missouristate.edu.
If you have questions about submitting your meningitis vaccination record, obtaining your meningitis vaccination at Magers, or submitting a medical exemption letter from your physician, please contact Magers at MagersMedicalRecords@missouristate.edu